* Bound By Chains in Ridgewood, Queens @ Houdini Kitchen Laboratory (1563 Decatur St) 6pm, $20, Artisanal brick oven pizza, small-batch craft-brewed beer, a straightjacket escape, and sword swallowing, Buy tix
* Alt Citizen Issue #3 Release Party @ Night of Joy (667 Lorimer St) 7pm, FREE, Celebrate the new issue of this Brooklyn-based music & culture zine with DJs and drink specials all night, RSVP
# Eastern District Wine & Cheese Tasting @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 5pm, $18, Pairings of four cheeses and four wines, More info
* Beading on the Loom of Time @ Sacred Arts Research Center (107 Green St) 7pm, $65, Learn the basics of loom beading, a versatile and old technique found all over the world, and create a beadwork piece, More info
♫ The Greenpoint Get-Down @ No 7 North (931 Manhattan Ave) 9pm, FREE, DJ Patrick A. Reed spins classic hip-hop, heavy soul, deep funk, ska, and rocksteady, More info
Finding it hard to leave the house right now? Here’s an incentive to get you over the threshold of your icicle-encrusted front door…Grand Street is throwing its 2nd Annual Restaurant Week!
16 Grand Street restaurants between Union and Bushwick Avenues are offering hot deals on two-course lunches ($8-$10) and three-course dinners ($18-$30) all week, ending Sunday 22nd February. Okay, Grand Street’s not quite Greenpoint, but it’s probably just the right distance to give us that little bit of exercise we’ve been avoiding since before the dawn of the great freeze…and help us work up an appetite worthy of a three-course feast.
* Poets at the Yard @ The Yard Williamsburg (33 Nassau Ave) 7pm, FREE, Featuring Russell Dillon / Mary Donnelly / Megin Jimenez / Nicholas Adamski, More info
* Verbal Fight Club @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8:30pm, $?, A space where we can test our own level of endurance and conviction on current issues of great (or little) importance, RSVP
* Across the Hall @ The Hive NYC (20 Cook St) 9pm, $15, Adapted from a film of the same name, this play weaves a suspenseful tale of love, trust, and friendship, More info
♦ The Reject Show @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway) 5pm, FREE, A group show featuring printmaking, sculpture, painting, digital art, virtual reality art, and more, RSVP
* Flux Thursday @ Flux Factory (39-31 29th St) 8pm, FREE, Flux’s monthly art salon and potluck, featuring presentations by Wieteke Heldens, Kayti Didriksen, Duo Clakula, and the keepers of the Exquisite Contraption, More info
♫ No Smoking Media Presents MUNCHIES @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8:30pm, FREE, With Veda Rays / Whitewash / Bodega Bay / Young Runner / Lonesome Nick, RSVP
Calling all cat ladies and dog freaks! You know who you are. You spend more money on doggy day care than on personal grooming and you buy kitty litter in bulk. If you need some non-human puppy love on V-Day (because let’s face it, people aren’t furry enough) then make sure to check out Valentine’s Day Pet Snuggle and Adoption Event hosted by Cafe Grumpy & Sean Casey Animal Rescue at Cafe Grumpy Lower East Side (13 Essex St, NYC) on Saturday, February 14th, noon-5pm. Continue reading
It is very exciting to announce that Gasper & Son is premiering at two great film festivals and we hope you can join us at one of the screenings.
The first is at the DC Independent Film Festival taking place on Saturday, February 28th, 2015 at 2:30pm at Naval Heritage Center, 701 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC, 20004. RSVP on Facebook. Buy tickets here.
If the last market was any indication, this one is going to be just as fun! Really excited about what our talented vendors have in store. Plus where else will you be able to get FREE massages, nails artfully done, personalized haikus, and professional photos all in one beautifully restored pre-war rope factory with views of the Manhattan skyline?
So come join us @Greenpoint Loft (67 West St, 5th Fl) from 1-7PM. It’s the only time you’ll get to have Greenpoint Beer & Ale’s limited edition Chocolate Stout and our Rosemary Gimlet.
While Julia is running around grabbing this and that to make her first market just perfect for you, she asked me to send out the “Friday before the market reminder.” So I’m going to do this post my way (even though I am not sure this is what Julia had in mind.)
This gives me a chance to say hello. Greenpoint, HELLO! I really miss you and wish I could be there on Sunday to give everyone big hugs and stuff way too many dogs into a photo booth shot. (Poor, Brownie (left) got it from D (middle). What a bitch, literally!)
I also wish I could go shopping because the vendors are absolutely fantastic thanks to Yuka’s brilliant curating skills.
When I was organizing the markets, I was always busy screwing in lightbulbs, selling raffles, emptying garbage cans and making sure folks don’t drop beer off the balcony – that I never got to ever shop to my hearts content. And now that I am not the owner any more, I can pick favorites.
Here is my list of MUST SEE vendors for Sunday:
Think of Valentine’s Shopping like an airplane losing cabin pressure and fitting the air mask on your face. Shop for yourself first, then for others. I’m from Queens so any variation on the door knocker or hoop earring is a must for me. These Lockhart Wrks Conical Contrast Earrings make a big statement (like you don’t need any other accessories) and are a great deal at only $30. Wear them up or wear them down, you will get compliments on these gems. Continue reading
I had a great time at the very first Picture Farm Film Festival last year (which I previewed and recapped for Greenpointers). I am looking forward to attending this year’s edition. It takes places this weekend, Saturday 2/7 and Sunday 2/8. I highly encourage you to come see a bunch of great films for free at the Picture Farm Gallery (338 Wythe Avenue). To get you excited, read on for more information and some interviews with the festival organizers and some of the filmmakers. Continue reading
Valentine’s Market, Mermaid Lagoon, Pinball Championships – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (2/04–2/10)
* Madcap Variety Show Fundraiser @ Triskelion Arts (118 North 11th St) 8pm, $16, Featuring the comic stylings of Boom Bat Gesture, Elizabeth Carena, Sara Montgomery, and many more, Buy tix
♫ A/V Salon @ Secret Project Robot (389 Melrose St) 8pm, FREE, A salon series where artists experiment with sound and video, RSVP
* Java Street Community Garden General Meeting @ t.b.a. (224 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, In order to be entered into the lottery for a garden plot, you or a proxy must be present at the meeting, More info
* Presentation Fight Night @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 7:30pm, $5, Presentation Party Night and Verbal Fight Club pair peer lectures with a debate-style smackdown, Buy tix
* Mermaid Lagoon Ocean Benefit @ Lot 45 (411 Troutman St) 9pm, $20, The 5th annual ocean benefit held by the Mermaids of NYC, featuring dance, acrobatics, shadow puppets, music, games, and more, Buy tix